Have you read the 2009 Technorati State of the Blogosphere Report yet? It’s got some great demographics about bloggers that online news orgs would be good to know, as a lot of them are voracious news consumers.
The report was compiled based on a survey of 2,828 bloggers, blog provider statistics and interviews with many key bloggers.
Fun facts from the study:
- Bloggers are generally more affluent than the average person
- The blogosphere continues to be dominated by male, affluent and educated bloggers
- Most bloggers are “hobbyists” and are driven by personal fulfilment rather than financial gain.
- The survey found that contrary to popular belief, many bloggers have had professional media experience, with 35% of all respondents having worked in traditional media as a writer, reporter, producer, or on-air personality, and 27% continue to do so.
- While bloggers read other blogs they do not consider them a substitute for other news sources and the majority do not consider online media more important than traditional media.
- 31% don’t think newspapers will survive the next ten years.