Last week, I taught a mobile journalism workshop as part of APME’s Newstrain seminar at the Newseum here in Washington, D.C. While I’m not a mobile journalist per se, I am a journalist that loves my smartphone. The class was aimed at those who are new to most mobile news gathering, reporting and publishing apps and practices – with and without smartphones.
We got into:
- Using Twitter to report breaking news via live tweeting
- Gathering eyewitnesses and media from Twitter sourcing and Twitter searches
- Live reporting from a scene using streaming video and live chat apps
- Tools for capturing and editing great photos, audio and video from phones
- Mobile publishing using Tumblr and other blog tools, quick publishing by email
As part of the training, I gave out a handout of entry-level mobile tools for gathering media, reporting news, publishing and being productive on the go. I gathered these from my own experiences and those of other online savvy journos I know. Check it out (also after the jump) – and tell me what, if anything, you’d add.