These are my recommended links for June 22nd through June 25th:
- Flickr Photo Download: Facebook vs Twitter – Interesting graphic comparing Facebook and Twitter’s audiences and usage stats.
- twitter.com – Quantcast Audience Profile – I used Twitter as an example, really, but it is fascinating to see the site’s demographics and traffic from Quantcast. You can enter any site here to see Quantcast’s data. You should be familiar with the demos of your own website (or that of your employer) so as to have a better idea of the audience you’re aiming for.
- Twitter and status updating | Pew Internet & American Life Project – The actual Pew study (instead of just blog posts about it) looking at the demographics of those who share their status online across social media tools.
- Facebook’s 276% Growth in 35-54 Year Old Users | iStrategyLabs – It’s an older blog post, but this look at Facebook’s demos even in January showed the onslaught of new users outside the college-age crowd. Fascinating stuff.
- 10 Ways Journalism Schools Are Teaching Social Media – Some are better than others, but journalism schools are mixing social media into their curricula. My own alma mater, Kent State, uses Twitter pretty extensively, but other schools are going very big in their experimentation (see Newsmixer).